User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2014-2016 Kia Cadenza vs 2010-2012 Lexus ES350

Hello, I'm cross-shopping the 2014-2016 Kia Cadenza vs 2010-2012 Lexus ES350 and hope to get some insights from the Cadenza community. Perhaps some of you have made similar comparisons or might even have experience with both vehicles. It is not typical to compare different model years, but they are roughly similar in price this way. Any comments contrasting these specific generations are welcome.

Reasons I like the Cadenza:
- safety features like blind-spot monitoring
- newer model year / lower mileage for similar price
- value of more tech features for the price
- rear heated seats
- seemingly decent infotainment/navigation system
- rarity

Reasons I like the ES350:
- reputation for reliability
- refinement

Things I'm looking for:
- reliability and hassle-free ownership
- long lifetime

For reliability, lately virtually every vehicle review, reliability site, forums/owners, and even some mechanics, have been glowing about Kia's and Hyundai's quality and reliability in recent years. Some even suggest it has surpassed Toyota and Honda. But that does seem to be based on predicted reliability. So imagine the shock of seeing Kia rank terribly as measured by engine and transmission issues for trade-ins: Kia - Dashboard Light

The Cadenza does not have a ranking page, due to being too recent and insufficient data. Maybe the Optima is similar, but that's not good news: Kia Optima Reliability - Dashboard Light

Meanwhile the ES350 is excellent: Lexus ES Reliability - Dashboard Light

I don't take this as conclusive (2002 Impala is rated poorly Chevrolet Impala Reliability - Dashboard Light , but it's been great for us--we never traded it in), nevertheless it does cause some concern.

We tend to keep vehicles until end of life (1988 Taurus for 16 years, 2002 Impala nearly 17 years and now needs to be replaced). Here in Canada the "cause of death" of our previous cars has been compromised structural integrity due to rust. Otherwise they would have been kept even longer.

So, given these criteria,

• Which would you recommend between, say, a 2011 ES350 and a 2014 Cadenza, and why?
  • Which would you expect to be more reliable?
  • What might be each one's life expectancy?
Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by gene; 04-18-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
This is the first I've seen this post
found it after doing a search
Welcome to the forum

Last edited by gene; 04-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for un-impounding my post @gene !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
First off, from a 2010 anything to a 2016 anything, you're really spreading the spectrum a bit both and Tech and wear'n'tear. Some 2010 cars are going to be over 130,000 miles, so unless you find one never driven garage kept, it's going to be high mileage, and even harder to warranty if you're looking for that.

That said, If I were looking right now, I'd go with a pre-owned 2017-2019 Cadenza over the first gen. First gen was great, but the second really pulled away as just better overall. I still like the exterior look of the first gen over the newer one but interior is better on the newer one. Most paramount to me, the stereo sounds exponentially better on the newer one vs the 2014 I drive now. I added a 12" sub at 2 ohms bridged coil with a 600watt JL audio amp, been through 3 different subs to finally find the right one, that amp is still cranking though...anyway, it does sound much better with the added bass, but still not nearly as clear and full as the 2nd gen Cadenza does.

Also, be extremly familiar with the trim levels. first gen had essentially 4 trim levels. Premium, Premium w/lux, premium Lux/tech, and limited SXL. Avoid the Base model, easy to tell, the speedo and Tach are physical dials same size, no rear sunshade. The other 3 trims have a lot of the fixings, but you need Tech or limited to get the lane departure warning stuff. The 2nd generation mixed things up a little more. THere's a base, base with tech and Limited, but some of the features are moved around, It get's complicated until you narrow down the details. But much simpler then BMW features of a single model. That said, I wouldn't go less then a Limited in the 2017-2019. The first gen as long as you don't go base model, you do get a lot of features.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Something else to consider, How many ES's are out there, maybe 40,000 Cadenza's have been sold ever, since their debuted in 2014 here in the stats.
Kia Cadenza Sales Figures | GCBC

This doesn't segment by the sub ES category, but Lexus sells 40-72,000 ES's every year. So all your data about reliability are essentially apples to oranges...since there's just no comparing these cars reliability side by side...
Lexus ES Sales Figures | GCBC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I completely agree that the 2017+ Cadenza is much nicer; in fact it was my preference. But it is out of the budget I'm working with, partly because there are virtually NO used 2017+ models listed for sale in my neck of the woods. Very few Cadenzas are sold in Canada and they are probably still on lease, and/or still being kept by their owners.

I'm aiming for models with the radar adaptive cruise control, which usually also comes with tech/safety features like blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic warning, lane departure warning, (occasionally) extending thigh support, and heated and cooled seats, etc. Yes, the trim levels are quite confusing. I also wonder whether there are differences between Canadian and American models. The situation with cooled seats is confusing: some don't have it, some have it just for the driver, and some have it for both driver and passenger seats. Plus, many sellers either don't mention the trim and options, or seem to get it wrong. So, I judge based on the features evidenced by the presence of the relevant buttons. As for HID headlights and HUD... I'm not aware of how to tell if they're present.

I love the goodcarbadcar site! So useful. I like to point out that fewer Cadenzas are sold in Canada than some exotic cars. Not sure if that's also a bad thing, though. How does that affect parts availability? Is there much that is unique, or is there a lot shared with other Kia models?

As for reliability, the ES has a known, exceptionally strong track record, while the Cadenza simply has none, especially for long term reliability. I have noticed forum posts about poor customer service from Kia and problems like spontaneously broken springs, leaking windshields, etc. This causes me some concern. The ES seems like the safer bet in terms of reliability and reduced hassle. Though for features and value, the Cadenza makes a good case for itself. But then will more features mean more issues? Having read of Cadenzas getting their nav or parking sensors replaced multiple times... I realize forum posts will be biased towards negative experiences, but those are experiences I could really do without.

Does anyone have first-hand experience contrasting these vehicles, particularly for the model years mentioned?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
If you're looking for HIDs and adaptive cruise in a '14-'16 I think you're only going to get that with the SXL (limited). The confusion about the cooled seats is only a worry if it is a '14 model that was built prior to October of 2013, which is when the passenger seats were cooled standard as well. I personally like the '14s the best because they have the best bang/buck. Other years you have to go up in trims to get some of the base features our Cadenza had in lower trims.

As far as reliability we just don't have many cars on the road to really tell. We have had a few problems with our cars but usually nothing major. Some inconveniences for things like backup cam/screen messing up, engine rattle on startup, and the chrome wheels flaking are the big ones I can remember, but all of those had TSBs issued and were fixed. As with any vehicle there are sometimes just horrible experiences, some of which are on this site, problems with transmissions, engines, weird things with the drive-train in general and other gremlins.

I can speak for myself and say that I love my car. I leased it in 3/14 and bought it out of lease because I loved it, still do. It's in great condition and runs smooth, but I am a low miler. I would personally go to dealers and look at both cars that you're wanting and I think that can tell you a lot. To me the older a vehicle (especially 5 years!) the more you're going to see the age and feel it when you're driving. You were used to your cars over the years and didn't see the difference of it getting older. I think you'll see a huge difference between the Cadenza and 350 when you get in them each. Drive them, listen for the creaks, groans, and the personality of each, at that age don't ignore the little things you hear.

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for detailing your experience and reasoning. Really appreciated.

Is there any indication of the trim on the vehicle, eg. in a door jamb? For HIDs I guess the only way is to turn them on and see! We virtually never use cruise control, but I want it for the (safety) features that come with it, and which are lacking without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh30469 View Post
I would personally go to dealers and look at both cars that you're wanting and I think that can tell you a lot. To me the older a vehicle (especially 5 years!) the more you're going to see the age and feel it when you're driving. You were used to your cars over the years and didn't see the difference of it getting older. I think you'll see a huge difference between the Cadenza and 350 when you get in them each. Drive them, listen for the creaks, groans, and the personality of each, at that age don't ignore the little things you hear.
Thanks, ultimately that's exactly what we'll do. So far I've just been researching the best options to suggest, as the purchase is not for me. I definitely don't want to be responsible for recommending something that causes headaches down the road. The "personality" of each vehicle will probably be a major, even deciding, factor.

Again, I really appreciate all the input from everyone.
gene likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i bought a 2014 with 19,000 miles on it in September. It has the air cooled front seats, rear window shade, sun roof, and graphic speedometer. Love the car. Rides like a dream. Have about 27k miles on it now. I took it through the car wash and it blew the shark fin antennae off. This was an expensive lesson. Around $550 to have it fixed. They have to take the headliner out to replace the WHOLE thing. This seems to be a common occurrence according to the dealer. That was some bad engineering right there. Also, If you are looking at Cadenza's with sunroofs, make sure to drive it with it opened/closed. They like to squeak when closed. It sounds like two pieces of styrofoam rubbing against each. I just turn the radio up. Speaking of the radio. It has no low end even with a sub-woofer. I'm 50. It's not like I want tin cans rattling in my trunk but I would like to hear the bass in Tom Sawyer or anything by the FOO. Hope that helps.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
On the squeaky sunroof: Has anybody tried putting a bit of vaseline, or maybe silicone lubricant on the edge that squeaks?

On the stereo: When I set the mid-range down to -2, both bass and treble perked up nicely, but bass was especially noticeable. I also have the expanded sound option selected (forgot what it was called). Anyway, I have no problems with lack of bass - there's plenty there if you tweak the settings.

'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page