User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool Intermittent - Car Won't Start

I've been counting the times this has occurred, and I'm up to five now. First time was in a real panic, but I think I have a work around now. Still an uneasy feeling.

THE PROBLEM
Park the car as usual, but upon return, car will not start, even though key is in the car and foot is on brake. (Yes, FOB battery replaced.) Dash lights come on, but starter does not engage when button is replaced.

No detectable pattern as to what causes the problem. (Like parking on an incline, shutting the car off in "D", etc.)

THE WORK-AROUND
If I put my foot on brake while car is off, shift car from P to D and back to P, push the button, then the car will start.

POSSIBLE PROBLEM?
Is it some sort of sensor that is locking out the car from starting like a shift interlock? Is this a known issue, and if so, what has the cost been to replace? Other ideas?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Also, replaced car battery 5 months ago.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Yes that is very strange definitely sounds like a faulty sensor somewhere, have you scheduled a dealership appt yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Called the dealer. They said probably a neutral interlock? sensor (or something like that.) $200-$300 to fix.

Next time it happens, I'm going to shift from P to N and back to P and see if that clears the problem.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Yeah, it's probably a sensor in the shift control in the center console. That way the car doesn't try to start when you are in D or R and start moving. simple sensor swap I'd imagine, if I didn't have a warrantee I'd look to do that myself. getting the center console apart shouldn't be to hard, sensor can't be more then a few buck, maybe $50, but without knowing.

I'd check www.mykiaparts.com for the sensor, at least get to know the console there too, may have a cutaway visual of everything...save some $$ if this is all it is.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Got bored, looked it up...$32 for the switch, few minutes of your time, you could fix this yourself. It's on top of the transmission though, not in the console as I had first thought.

https://www.mykiaparts.com/oem-parts...tch-427003b700

This is for an Elantra, may be very similar solution to the Cadenza...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, MadMax.

If the installation mirrors the Elantra video - I think I could do the job - as long as there isn't any "adjustment" or tweaking of the sensor itself (like, for example, setting the timing...)

Given that it's presently a once every few weeks issue, I may wait until frequency is greater, or until the P to D and back to P trick doesn't work on the first try.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM

That's one of those things like a flaky battery, I wouldn't wait any longer then shipping for the part. In that if it strands you, then what? You gotta get a tow to the dealership, what if you're 100 miles from home and it doesn't want to start?

Me, I'd just get it ordered, and plan a weekend to do it. It looks like it's going to be under the air filter box, I'd take that out of the way tonight, make sure you can see the sensor, could require removing the batter and battery shelf, but that should be just a few more bolts. What I'm saying is, if you can see it and can determine it can be done, order it and get it done. worst case you're out the 32$ and end up back at the dealership to troubleshoot afterwards.
iaw94117 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I hope you guys don't use Utube to self diagnose your medical procedures
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Why pay for a colonoscopy, a cellphone, some tubing and a few well placed mirrors, I can see my tonsils going in from my rectum...youtube is your friend...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page