LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
My 2014 Headlight Retrofit

My labor of love is 95% complete. Mods to headlight done:

- Replaced halogen high beam with Mini H1 7.0 HID w/ Morimoto 35W ballasts and 4.3K bulbs and Morimoto relay kit. Wired to turn on with fog light switch, or high beams.

- Swapped stock fresnel lens with KDM OEM clear lens on main beam, spaced lens with one cardboard spacer for sharper cutoff line

- Installed KDM DRL module

- Custom wired in exLED 1533 amber LEDs into the positioning light area (supplemental turn signal)

- 1157 LED turn signal bulbs (already installed, but removed load resistor as the supplemental turn signal I added creates enough draw to negate need for it)

- Used SPDT relays to alternate the turn signal and DRL module during the day and turn off when headlights turn on

- Used Diode Dynamics S1 Switchback module for the positioning lights/supplemental turn signal at night

- Installed KDM white reflector for amber reflector (and removed amber running lights)

- Painted chrome gloss black, as well as most of the silver shroud

Some pics:

I have it wired for:

Daytime: DRLs turn on when positioning light is off. Turn signal causes DRLs to blink opposite the turn signal (using SPDT relay)

Nightime (when parking lights are turned on): DRLs turn off. Switchback module turns off positioning light during blinker operation. Fog light switch turns on/off Mini H1 low beam (and fog light). Highbeam works as usual, even flash to pass.

And videos in action:

Further away video: Camera was in low beam path and is essentially blinded when the low beams come on

https://youtu.be/6q7M2cK8PtU

Close-up video: At angle of one headlight

https://youtu.be/L2Btw2t66A0

No output shots yet of the beams. Reason I am 95% done is I screwed up the height adjustment on one Mini H1 (aimed low), and have to re-open the headlight. Sigh. Needless to say these easily double stock output, while keeping the glare off other drivers. High beam is marvelous, way better than the stock halogen set-up.

This is my first time opening headlights - learned a lot and feel more confident doing this kind of mod. Learned tons about the headlight wiring in this vehicle too - know it backwards and forwards now.
GizmoPDX and rmorris7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Awesome Job Yooshaw! Kudos!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If i ever drive to FL again, I'll stop by and let you do mine.

Very well done!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Never have I been so aroused, and by a man no less! Those look amazing, and so deceptively "stock"! That's a top notch job.

Where in FL are you at? I'm near Orlando myself. I don't know how much you'd want to do that to a second set for my car, but I gotta at least ask!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Nicely done!

2014 Kia Cadenza, Smokey Blue and Beige
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7 View Post
Awesome Job Yooshaw! Kudos!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
If i ever drive to FL again, I'll stop by and let you do mine.

Very well done!!!
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Never have I been so aroused, and by a man no less! Those look amazing, and so deceptively "stock"! That's a top notch job.

Where in FL are you at? I'm near Orlando myself. I don't know how much you'd want to do that to a second set for my car, but I gotta at least ask!
I'm in Tampa, so real close. Don't know if I could survive another round - had to constantly balance time with the family. That's why this project took me over a year to complete (the move from DC to Tampa didn't help though).

I may entertain the idea though (after a nice break and finishing what I have left to do). I have an extra set of headlights right now that I could work up (that's how committed I was to getting this done). And I'm much more proficient now. Sourcing the KDM stuff cheaply is the issue to get the DRL module (could get that from a Canadian unit), white reflector and main beam clear lens (not on Canadian models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Effects View Post
Nicely done!
Thanks much!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
wow!

LIKE me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/benthekiaguy
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezwax View Post
wow!
Thanks!

Took some output shots. All these pics were taken with the exact same camera settings, so a valid comparison to output can be made. Camera is at f 2.0, 1/200 at ISO 80. These are all underexposed from what I see with my eye, but I think it gives a better view of beam pattern. And I'm too close, but I'm too lazy to try and find a wall with 50 feet of space to show a good beam shot.

Stock (before)

Notice blurry cutoff line from fresnel lens

----------------------------

Stock main beam only with clear lens and one spacer

Sharper for sure, but not perfect. Even so, brightness is the same.

---------------------------

The Quads

Can see my alignment issue here, driver side Mini H1 is too lowww and needs to be brought up. Have to re-open the headlight to do that. Ugh.

You can tell the sharpness difference in the stock and mini-H1 - mini is so much better. White balance is off in this pic, it's not that yellow.

------------------------

And finally, some overexposed shots at f2.0, 1/13 ISO 80. This better matches what I see with my eyes, but the center hotspots are definitely overexposed.

Main Beam

Quads

Highbeam

---------------------------

Once I get my alignment issues taken care of, I'll grab some road shots as well.

Other random observations/notes:

The stock beam has NO step in it (well, minuscule). I surmise this is due to the swiveling main beam to keep glare out of drivers eyes.

In the city, these quads are overkill. I'll primarily use the quad setup in dark areas.

There a good blue color band in both sets at the cutoff - I'm just too close to the garage to properly show it. The Mini's color band is bigger than the stock one.

Wish I had gotten some before pics of the stock high beam. The Mini H1 high beam is nuts, probably my favorite thing.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Once again, I am in Awe! Very nice work!

2014 Kia Cadenza, Smokey Blue and Beige
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I figured out my alignment issue. Turned out that the mini H1 was hitting the inside of the shroud. When I went to adjust it up, it broke the steel stick I used to secure the projector to the mount. Opened up the headlight, trimmed the inside of the shroud for clearance, aimed, and re-attached with steel stick.

Got some output pics on the road. Pics take at f 2.0, 1/6 sec, ISO 80

Stock HID with clear lens:

Quad: Stock and Mini H1 7.0

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page