1Likes
  • 1 Post By MadMax

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Steering Coupler warranty Extension potential for Cadenza

If you haven't heard of or experienced this problem, essentially there's a $3 plastic coupler inside of our steering column assembly that will completely disintegrate over time. It is not a recall on the Cadenza, but on Both the Optima and the Hyundai Sonata for specific years they have actually extended the warranty on the repair for this part to 10 year unlimited miles.

Great dialog here, and even a picture of someone's Manufacturer letter from Kia.
https://www.optimaforums.com/forum/6...g-coupler.html

It happened on my car, just had it repaired for free. I have the extended warranty with deductible. But after calling the Kia Preferred line and setting up a case based on the Optima model extension, they waived the $50 deductible. If you are out of warranted, it's likely a 1-2 hour job, not sure how they would bill it as my invoice says 0 in the prices, but probably about $120-200 best guess.

The easiest way to test for this, at least it was very apparent in my car, with the car running (running because of the relationship with this coupler and power steering seemed to make the issue more apparent then with the car off) just rock your wheel side to side an inch or 2 in each direction. if you feel loose, clunky or some noise developed, your coupler is already falling apart.

It's funny because I'm a spirited driver, but because I routinely never turn the wheel while the car sits still to eliminate any excessive tire-wear from those still rotations, I never actually noticed the symptom. Been teaching my son to drive, so it was through that process of a different driver behind the wheel that we discovered the problem. A little research and I saved $50. Steering wheel feedback and function feels amazing again, like brand new. I thought she was just showing a little age..
kzookid likes this.

Last edited by MadMax; 05-03-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Silly question - what happens when the coupler completely fails? Are you still able to steer?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

My brother in law replaced one on our mother-in-law's 2013 Sonata a few months back, he sent me pictures, it was like rubber dust. He never said she couldn't drive with it like that but the power steering wasn't engaging all the time I think. But while in place even as dust it was still doing some of the work, she was driving it right up until the repair. It was originally just two guys talking about working on cars, it looked like a big job, but he said it only took about 40 minutes start to finish. He's no novice, so id stack his speed up to any typical dealership, that said they would still likely charge a full hour at their rate. If you didn't pursue Kia for coverage.

When i realized mine had the same symptom is when i researched, discovered that the MiL's car was covered by the extended warranty, in that he didn't have to try so hard to get her to like him more then me! Because after he did that sh!t, I had to step up and stripped her bubbled window tint off the back window...me being a novice at tint removal it took some trial and error until i got the method down, and about 3 hours start to finish. So I told him to research that extended warranty sh!t next time so we don't have to go at it like that again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I don't have this problem (yet... knock on wood) but I was interested in finding a video to help understand the process to fix it if anyone needs it. Looks like a 60-120 min job depending on how good you are with disassembling pieces in your car. This video is for a Hyundai Sonata, but the process will probably be very similar for our Cadenzas.

Last edited by brandontaz2k2; 05-12-2019 at 04:04 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I just received my letter in the mail. It says stick the letter in the glove compartment "Just in case" I hope when I take it in for an oil change they will test it for me or is that asking too much? Most dealers jump at warranty work!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontaz2k2 View Post
I don't have this problem (yet... knock on wood) but I was interested in finding a video to help understand the process to fix it if anyone needs it. Looks like a 60-120 min job depending on how good you are with disassembling pieces in your car. This video is for a Hyundai Sonata, but the process will probably be very similar for our Cadenzas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrkARm38wfc
Thanks for posting that, looks very similar to the Cadenza.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Just got a letter in the mail regarding the extended coverage too. I wonder if the activity from my claim was the final straw for them. "yer welcome"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I'd be interested to see what the letter looks like, haven't received one yet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I bought mine used. Wonder if I'll get a letter.

'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia-Driver View Post
I bought mine used. Wonder if I'll get a letter.
I bought my Cadenza used and I received the letter a week or so ago. If you don't I'm sure you could call Kia and have them send you one.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page