Alternator amperage - Kia Cadenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Alternator amperage

Anybody know the amount of power our alternator can provide? I did not find any information in the owners manual, but I did find this on the positive battery terminal cover... (180A)
I think this is referring to the fuse though. I am adding about a 2000 Watt car audio system, so I need to make sure I have enough amperage for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Garage
I looked in the service manual, but it does not give any data for how much amperage it can deliver. It does state that the output current value is shown on the nameplate affixed to the alternator body - you could check there. But, without knowing how much current the car normally draws, how can you figure out if the alternator has enough capacity for your new stereo?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I can tell you this, I have had a JL audio amp in my car since getting it in late 2014, 600watt output into 2 ohm (have a single sub dual voice coils are 4 ohm, they are bridged to get the 2 ohm). Car is 5 years old now and I've replaced 2 batteries since getting the car, the stock died at about 30,000 miles, the replacement barely made it to 25,000 as best as I recall. Not saying that the added draw shortened the battery life, but that's at least a little telling. I also don't crank it all the time, just on trips does it get pounded.

I don't know the input power draw of the amp, just that the audio output is 600 watt RMS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Check the input amperage of the amplifier. The output watt RMS of an amp is an entirely different measurement
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Doing a quick auto parts store search (Autozone, Rockauto, etc.) there is only one alternator option coming up for 2014+ Cadenza's and it's 150A.

2014 SXL, only mods are after market rims due to recall. Plenty on the list though!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshaw View Post
I looked in the service manual, but it does not give any data for how much amperage it can deliver. It does state that the output current value is shown on the nameplate affixed to the alternator body - you could check there. But, without knowing how much current the car normally draws, how can you figure out if the alternator has enough capacity for your new stereo?
I wouldn't know , our alternator is in a pretty horrible location for looking at it, and even worse if you are replacing it... looks like you have to take it out from the bottom of the car which would be a pain..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I can tell you this, I have had a JL audio amp in my car since getting it in late 2014, 600watt output into 2 ohm (have a single sub dual voice coils are 4 ohm, they are bridged to get the 2 ohm). Car is 5 years old now and I've replaced 2 batteries since getting the car, the stock died at about 30,000 miles, the replacement barely made it to 25,000 as best as I recall. Not saying that the added draw shortened the battery life, but that's at least a little telling. I also don't crank it all the time, just on trips does it get pounded.

I don't know the input power draw of the amp, just that the audio output is 600 watt RMS.
Sounds like the alternator might not be providing enough amperage then, or you could have just had crappy defective batteries. I plan on replacing my battery with a XS power battery, little bit more juice for car audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene View Post
Check the input amperage of the amplifier. The output watt RMS of an amp is an entirely different measurement
Hey gene, very good point thank you. I checked the amp I'm going to be purchasing and the fuse rating is 80A for a 1000W 5-channel amp, which is correct. 1000w/14.2v (car idling) = 70A
1000w/12.4v (car off) = 80.6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyjeeps View Post
Doing a quick auto parts store search (Autozone, Rockauto, etc.) there is only one alternator option coming up for 2014+ Cadenza's and it's 150A.
Thank you for looking that up. 150A sounds like it should be enough, but like Yooshaw said, I'm not sure how much amperage our cars use .

Last edited by brandontaz2k2; 04-28-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page