User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Metallic rattle under the hood

Been having this problem for a little while, seems there is something loose under the hood making a he!! of a racket. Metallic rattle, best description is an exhaust shield bouncing or vibrating. Doesn't happen all the time, but probably in a week 50% of the days I'll hear it. Almost never hear it with the car in Drive. When it does show up, if I put it in Reverse, foot on brake, it's very apparent and constant, Neutral/Park it's hit or miss. If I stop then restart the car you can hear it briefly during startup, but again, in N/P it doesn't stick around. (this is not the timing chain rattle sound).

I've been to the dealership before, told them of the sound said "sounds like an exhaust shield" so of course they tightened around every shield, (I never did ask how many). Sound was gone for 4 days, then came right back. Not sure if they temp solved anything or if it was that normal behavior of the sound. again, it's very sporadic occurrence.

I have inspected only the shield at the front/top of the motor, covers the exhaust manifold (mesh shield). The shield is frequently loose to the touch, but it's not the bolts, they are very tight, checked with a wrench myself. There are grommets around all of the bolt holes in the panel, it's like those grommets are meant to be fluid and allow the shield to shift. If I tinker with it cold, normally the sound is gone for a few days. I've never been able to get out and tinker with it while the car is actually making the noise, I have to be in R, foot on brake or trust the Parking brake, and the shield is extremely hot when the car's been running a while, I'd need to keep an oven mitt in the car for troubleshooting.

Anyway, anyone ever experience this sound? Also, I can't be certain that the sound is even coming from this shield, or if it's another shield, or something completely different. I contemplated just taking it off and drive for a week or so, but it's so hot out right now, I'd hate to cause problems if that shield is actually protecting the nearby hoses. I have a visit to the dealership next week, going to try to get this completely narrowed down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
So I had something similar BUT mine was coming from when I had the front tower strut bar installed in my car. One of the hoses on the top of my engine was rubbing against it at certain RPS and I could hear it, It definitely sounded like a bit of shielding rattling. The only difference is that I could reproduce mine whenever I wanted and it was usually present at lower RPMs but not idle or high RPMs. After uninstalling the bar it went away, there was a very noticeable dent in the bar where the hoses was rubbing into it, I removed the bar because I figure the hose is much more important, though I loved the way the bar helped my car handle (despite shearing off a screw in the process). Maybe look to see if any hoses are rubbing anything? Look for wear marks.

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh30469 View Post
So I had something similar BUT mine was coming from when I had the front tower strut bar installed in my car. One of the hoses on the top of my engine was rubbing against it at certain RPS and I could hear it, It definitely sounded like a bit of shielding rattling. The only difference is that I could reproduce mine whenever I wanted and it was usually present at lower RPMs but not idle or high RPMs. After uninstalling the bar it went away, there was a very noticeable dent in the bar where the hoses was rubbing into it, I removed the bar because I figure the hose is much more important, though I loved the way the bar helped my car handle (despite shearing off a screw in the process). Maybe look to see if any hoses are rubbing anything? Look for wear marks.
For what it's worth I had the same thing with the strut bar. I solved it by zip tying the hose to the strut bar - not super tight but tight enough to prevent the hose (really it a metal clamp) from rubbing. I wouls describe the noise it made more of a squeak instead of a rattle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I do have a strut bar on, I'll get under the hood later and take a look. I'm pretty sure I had plenty of clearance with everything, but it's interesting that both of you had similar experience with the strut bar...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

I'll be damned...the hoses clear, but the Clamps on the hoses are very close, not hitting every time, but there's marks on the strut bar where paint has been worn off by the clams, so they likely touch at some point. Unbelievable. I'll have to devise a way to get that pulled down, or rotate the clamps. I also need to get someone to move them up against the strut bar while I'm sitting in the car, see if the sound is identical...but I do believe you guys narrowed it down.

Funny thing is, the sound wasn't there for the first year or so with the bar on, but it was after one of those intake cleaning services that the problem surfaced. I'm guessing those are suction hoses, and maybe they used one of them to get solvent into the motor? Either way, I'm gonna be so happy if that's the culprit! Thanks guys!
Yooshaw likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I went ahead and rotated the clamps forward so the obtrusive parts are well away form the sway bar, and then tiestrapped everything forward just a bit so that it won't edge closer with the engine running...Ideally I'll never hear that sound again. I already canceled the appointment for next week at the dealership, I'm pretty sure this will solve it.
Yooshaw likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Would you be able to take a pic of what you've done? I'm not super familiar with the innards of an engine and I just took mine off so it wouldn't create trouble. I tried to put material on the strut bar to keep the noise gone but it never worked (admittedly it was "only" several layers of paper towel rolled up). Again I loved how the bar made it handle better but I felt the hose was more important so just removed the bar. It did have clearance at a standstill but SOMETHING within the engine, whether the engine moving or the hose moving, did have it rubbing against that bar pretty well. Never heard the noise again once I uninstalled it.
@Yooshaw, mine was definitely a rattle sound, I had the dealer listen to it because I could recreate it on demand and even they checked all the shielding. They suggested taking the bar off to see if that was causing it and it was.
@MadMax, would you be able to report back about this in several weeks or so? I could get mine to do it below the 2k RPM threshold (I drive very easy with my car usually). I forgot the exact numbers but I think between the 1500-1800RPM range I heard it constantly. Would you be willing to take/upload a snapshot or 2 of what you've done? I'm honestly a bit gunshy on reinstalling since I sheared off the bolt for the diagnostic plug in there (or some sensor) and how have that ziptied somewhere in my engine, I don' wan to shear any of the big suspension bolts, I don't have any tools to "properly" tighten it down to a certain spec. Glad I could (hopefully) narrow it down for you though.

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Just needed a pair of pliers to squeeze and release tension on the hose clamp, then it just moves anywhere you like. I tie-strapped all the way to the drivers side end of the hoses, underneath it was attached to the top of the motor, so I was able to just pull all of that forward, can see it in the close-up. Also had to include one with the Red 'i' in my GDi, custom job one day when I was waiting for the KnN filter to dry...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180712_122004.jpg (84.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20180712_121958.jpg (223.1 KB, 32 views)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 PM

Hmm.. I'm not entirely sure what all this is showing me but I'll have to look at my car sometime (at work right now). Thanks for posting pictures of this so quick. Is it really OK to just turn those hoses like that? I'm still interested in whether or not the noise comes back too with you just turning it like that.

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Racing sport pedals

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

They're just hose clamps, I didn't rotate the hoses, just the clamps. As long as they are positioned over the hose and plastic insert inside the hose, you're fine. Note too, these are simple suction hoses, just air going through them, not high pressure water or refrigerant, so they're fine, probably last 200-300,000 miles never need to be replaced. The tiestraps you can see in the closeup, all the way to the right, had to use 2 to get the length right. But it's just wrapped around that plastic module underneath, and I used the insulator pad to hold the strap instead of putting the tiestrap onto the hose directly...should help prolong the live of both the hose and the tiestrap.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page