Cam chain tensioner replacement, Round 2 - Page 3 - Kia Cadenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
According to Kia it is normal for this type of engine. I wonder if the '17s will have it as well.

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fixes

Has anyone had this done and not had any issues 5-10k miles later... i see some had the issue reoccur
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:53 AM

The issue comes back and my dealer told me (that the Kia techs told them) that this is just normal operation for this engine and replacing the tensioner again will do nothing. We've basically been told to deal with it.

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the tensioner replaced on my 2014 Cadenza and I no longer hear the rattle (2000 miles so far) but I still have a very rough idle on cold start. (Every morning) When I say rough I am talking about moving the body on the suspension. It goes away in under a minute and runs as smooth as butter. The dealer says that this is normal but my thought is that on a car with computer control and all of the sensors it should start and run cold as well as all of the cars I've had without the brains. Has anyone else had this same issue?
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
I'll tell you from experience, what you described is NOT normal. I've had the chain rattle, had the repair done, had the car for 5 years and over 60k miles of my own, the engine has never shook the car at startup ever.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
That said, I keep a clean engine too. I clean the throttle body out every time I clean the KnN filter. So about every 15000 miles I wipe out all that buildup. I think it comes from the PCV valve sending dirty air into the intake. That buildup is normal, but it does need to be cleaned. It will make the throttle stick at startup, and may not fully close, or otherwise not move correctly at startup. Once the top of the motor warms up the throttle moves freely. Not sure if that's directly related to your situation but I'd always suggest starting there if you haven't.

That's not a warranty fix, so you'll be charged for a TB cleanout and they may offer an Induction cleanout service separate to that. It's not a bad thing, I just think they charge too much since I know how to clean the TB myself and I also run seafoam in the gas tank very often, usually after 5-6 full tanks i put in 20 oz of seafoam and run the tank to fumes before filling up again. I actually get the big can, think it's a gallon container, it's much cheaper then the 16 Oz bottles even if those things are on sale. Point being, I'm probably as much as 80-85% cleaner then an engine they would normally get in to do the induction cleanout, so the stuff they do for like $100 wouldn't really increase my performance much at all. Because even they can't get me to 100% cleanout, they would just get me a little closer.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I 100% agree with MadMax...actual shaking of the car during startup is NOT normal. I had the Rev 4 (latest) of that TSB done to my car about a year & 30K miles ago and the start up rattle returned within the week. I just left it and figure it is what it is. Now, opposite to MadMax's excellent cleaning schedule, I don't invest that much time and effort into my car. Saying that, currently at 58K miles I've never run any cleaning agent through my fuel system, nor have I ever cleaned my throttle body. My car still starts, runs and drives perfect. That being said, At 60K miles I have some preventative maintenance planned including cleaning the throttle body.

2014 SXL, only mods are after market rims due to recall.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:48 PM

@onlyjeeps, I would suggest a bottle of fuel additive like Techron (it's recommended in the user manual) after an oil change. It is supposed to help clear out any carbon fouling junk, and it's easy to do, literally just open the bottle and put it in the tank. At about $10 it's minor in the scheme of things. Just a suggestion /shrugs

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Racing sport pedals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page