User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
HID flicker

As some of you may know, I recently replaced my old HID bulbs with Osram CBBs. They have much better visibility and brightness, however, ever since I replaced them I have noticed my driver side headlight flickering over sharp bumps (so pretty much all the roads around where I live) itís possible that my old HIDs flickered as well but I never noticed them. Iíve read into this a bit and it seems to be a problem with the ballast? Iíd like to get it replaced ASAP to reduce damage to the bulb but Iím not sure where to get the part or if itís even a possible DIY fix. Iíd rather not take it to the dealer as they charge an arm and a leg for everything, but I may have to. Has anyone else had this problem on their 2014? The previous owner replaced the entire drivers side headlight housing with a new OEM one when they accidentally broke it, so it seems very odd that the ballast would be going out a year later. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjuretich View Post
As some of you may know, I recently replaced my old HID bulbs with Osram CBBs. They have much better visibility and brightness, however, ever since I replaced them I have noticed my driver side headlight flickering over sharp bumps (so pretty much all the roads around where I live) it’s possible that my old HIDs flickered as well but I never noticed them. I’ve read into this a bit and it seems to be a problem with the ballast? I’d like to get it replaced ASAP to reduce damage to the bulb but I’m not sure where to get the part or if it’s even a possible DIY fix. I’d rather not take it to the dealer as they charge an arm and a leg for everything, but I may have to. Has anyone else had this problem on their 2014? The previous owner replaced the entire drivers side headlight housing with a new OEM one when they accidentally broke it, so it seems very odd that the ballast would be going out a year later. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
I'd check the connection to the the bulb (also the headlight harness connection as well) to make sure it's tightly connected. It's possible it's partly connected, causing intermittent contact over bumps. If you rule that out, I would next rule out the bulb itself by swapping the LH and RH bulbs. If the problem follows the bulb, then the bulb is the problem. If the problem remains, it's more than likely the ballast.

If it is the ballast, and you are comfortable taking apart the front bumper to take out the headlight assembly, you can easily change the ballast yourself. It's located on the bottom of the headlight assembly, held in by three screws. Super easy to change out once the headlight assembly is out.

I can point you to the right ballast on E-Bay if you want, they are not that expensive.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshaw View Post
I'd check the connection to the the bulb (also the headlight harness connection as well) to make sure it's tightly connected. It's possible it's partly connected, causing intermittent contact over bumps. If you rule that out, I would next rule out the bulb itself by swapping the LH and RH bulbs. If the problem follows the bulb, then the bulb is the problem. If the problem remains, it's more than likely the ballast.

If it is the ballast, and you are comfortable taking apart the front bumper to take out the headlight assembly, you can easily change the ballast yourself. It's located on the bottom of the headlight assembly, held in by three screws. Super easy to change out once the headlight assembly is out.

I can point you to the right ballast on E-Bay if you want, they are not that expensive.
Looks like I have found this weeks plans :P Iíll go through this process and let you know if I need that ballast. Thanks!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page