I wanted more light output from the puddle lights, so I swapped out what's in there with four 1533L2s LEDs at 5K from exLED. I had bought a lot of these for my DRL project (ordered too many), so thought these could work here.
Best thing about these LEDs is they operate at 12-14V, meaning you don't need any resistors or LED drivers to make them work. You simply connect them to power and they work.
The stock unit consists of one LED sitting on top of a PCB board with resistors, etc. I simply unplugged the board (quick connect), then cut the quick connect off, peeled back the wire, and connected my home made module. The lens was tricky to get back on. In fact, I couldn't figure out how the lens remains in place - seems to be tension, but I couldn't get it right no matter how long I tried. I ended putting a bead of clear RTV sealant to get it to stay back in place.
I've been running this now since October, and no issues to report.
Anyway, video below, I estimate the brightness has increased 3 fold. I've made the driver side module, but haven't installed it yet.