1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Chrome Tailpipe Surrounds

This probably isnít the easiest way, and iím sure some of you have figured out how to do this already, but I thought iíd share for those who are curious.

The past couple days iíve been refinishing every single exterior piece of chrome, yep thatís been fun. I got to the back and decided I needed to do something about the sooty tailpipes. These cars have a tendency to run very rich and therefore put a lot of black on the chrome exhaust surround. If youíre efficient it should only take about half an hour to do both.

What youíll need:
-Course sand paper
-Fine sand paper (the finer the better, I used 1500)
-Paper towels and water
-Brasso and an old towel or cloth
-No more than half a brain

Itís pretty straight forward. Wash it out well with water and paper towels, then use the course sand paper to get the majority of the black off. During these steps make sure you only move in ONE direction with the sandpaper/brasso, I recommend left to right as it blends with the metal better. After youíve gotten the majority of the black stuff off, rewash it and then get the rest with the fine sand paper, this is the best time to remove the grooves from the harsher sandpaper and to give it a small shine. Wash again and then use brasso to shine. It doesnít come out as chrome as before, more of a silver, but itís much better than black, and I think I prefer it to chrome in that location.

Iíll include pictures of my results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2887.jpg (186.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2889.jpg (135.0 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Mine are still pretty shiny, but every time I go through the car wash (I know, bad me) I always finish out with wiping the exhaust ports and cleaning the chrome bits on the outside too. Mine does get sooty obviously but mostly on the inside of the port, wiping them off every few weeks seems to do the trick, and taking out the excess from the ports seems to keep the soot from running onto my shiny outsides I've seen other Cadenzas with black drip marks where they don't clean theirs :/

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh30469 View Post
Mine are still pretty shiny, but every time I go through the car wash (I know, bad me) I always finish out with wiping the exhaust ports and cleaning the chrome bits on the outside too. Mine does get sooty obviously but mostly on the inside of the port, wiping them off every few weeks seems to do the trick, and taking out the excess from the ports seems to keep the soot from running onto my shiny outsides I've seen other Cadenzas with black drip marks where they don't clean theirs :/
Thatís definitely what I will be doing from now on, the previous owner clearly didnít care about it whatsoever though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use Eagle Auto Never Dull cotton wadding. It's get all the carbon off without damaging or altering the surface.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh693 View Post
I use Eagle Auto Never Dull cotton wadding. It's get all the carbon off without damaging or altering the surface.
ah. oh well, I prefer the look of the silver anyway
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I don't care no one notices them except me. I have had many people say "good looking car " but no one has ever said "God your tailpipes are sooty " my two cents worth
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyman7915 View Post
I don't care no one notices them except me. I have had many people say "good looking car " but no one has ever said "God your tailpipes are sooty " my two cents worth
Hahaha iím a bit of a clean freak, I would save so much money if I could ignore it all
funnyman7915 likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not chrome

The tail pioe extensions / surrounds , are polished alloy . Most likely aluminum . You can get a mirror shine but with all that sandpaper and stuff your talking about youíll have a **** of a job getting them back to factory . What you really need to do now is take them off the car , and use a buffing wheel with grey , then red polishing rouge .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos14 View Post
The tail pioe extensions / surrounds , are polished alloy . Most likely aluminum . You can get a mirror shine but with all that sandpaper and stuff your talking about you’ll have a **** of a job getting them back to factory . What you really need to do now is take them off the car , and use a buffing wheel with grey , then red polishing rouge .
Are you saying those are in fact actual metal and not just shiny plastic? I assumed it was shiny plastic, much like the door trim and grill surround... Is that seriously not the case?

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh30469 View Post
Are you saying those are in fact actual metal and not just shiny plastic? I assumed it was shiny plastic, much like the door trim and grill surround... Is that seriously not the case?
Theyíre definitely metal. But the whole process of removing them and buffing them sounds like way more work than using sandpaper and elbow grease for a half hour. Iím not sure they are removable.