User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Left/Right Headlight Adjustment

Is there any way to adjust the headlights left and right? I know how to adjust them up and down. My driver's side headlight seems to be pointed way right. I noticed it very clearly the other night during some heavy fog. I have the standard incandescent bulbs, not the HID bulbs.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Garage
Yes you can. There are two adjustment mechanisms - sounds like you found the vertical. The horizontal adjustment looks similar, but I can't recall exactly where it is. I can look it up tonight when I get home.

FYI - a common practice is to adjust the vertical/horizontal adjustemnt with a socket - which can be much more difficult due to space constraints. It's a liitle less known that you can use a screwdriver, usually through a small slot, that will engage the mechanism to adjust, from above. Similar to the picture below.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's the knob on top. I'm assuming the I'll want to turn this bolt clockwise to make the light swing to the left. Will crank it a few turns and check things at night.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

So I think I found the adjustment knob for the low beam R/L, but can't figure out how to get to it. It's on top of the black plastic flange that runs across the top of the headlight assembly. I tried pulling the two bolts on top, but the black plastic flanges aren't budging. Anyone know the secret?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan2464 View Post
So I think I found the adjustment knob for the low beam R/L, but can't figure out how to get to it. It's on top of the black plastic flange that runs across the top of the headlight assembly. I tried pulling the two bolts on top, but the black plastic flanges aren't budging. Anyone know the secret?
I just confirmed that, it is the adjustment screw/bolt on the top corner, closest to the fender. You *may* be able to get to it through the fender - you'd have top take the wheel off and the fender liner. The other way is to remove the bumper. That will give you access to the rest of the bolts holding the headlight in place.

Just another thought - did you recently change the bulb (or were messing with it)? I ask because it is possible to get the projector misaligned while changing the bulb due to the force required to get on/off the bulb retaining clip. I've found you can pop it back into place with a firm tug.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Garage
Oh, and only the bottom adjustment (vertical adjustment that adjust height for the low/high) can be adjusted from above with a screwdriver. The two horizontal adjusters need a socket or screwdriver (from the back).
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Really frustrating that Kia would make this so difficult to adjust. Good tip about re-seating the bulb though. I'm going to pull it to make sure it is sitting flush on the connector and seated properly.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
why don't you simply take it into a Kia Dealership?I suspect this is a warranty item. I learned a long time ago that one cannot do everything well and end up doing everything poorly. My advice is to focus on what you know and let someone else focus on what you don't know.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I did take it to the dealer, and they said that the adjusted it as best they could, but I'm pretty convinced that they maybe adjusted the height a little, but not the left/right setting due to the pain of accessing it. I guess I could try another dealer. It just bugs me that something so simple requires so much work to access.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan2464 View Post
Really frustrating that Kia would make this so difficult to adjust. Good tip about re-seating the bulb though. I'm going to pull it to make sure it is sitting flush on the connector and seated properly.

Don't reseat the bulb - grab onto the back of the projector (including the bulb), and give it a firm tug (not too hard though) in the direction the aim needs correcting. What I found happens is the projector can come out of one of the nylon clips where the adjusting motor attaches. A pull will re-seat it into that nylon clip.

Was there anything that made your aim go out of alignment? How far out of alignment is it?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page