User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New owner, a couple questions

I just bought a 2014 limited and love it. I have a VW Passat TDI and am part of the big settlement going on, we had been shopping for a replacement and were almost settled on just keeping the Passat. I keep up on cars pretty well, but for some reason had never even heard of a Cadenza. We ended up test driving one and loved it. I'm really amazed this car isn't much more well known, it's kind of a hidden gem. In the end it's a straight trade across from a mid trim level Passat bought in Sept 2011 for $27k to a this 2014 Cadenza limited with half the miles, I'm making out pretty well in the deal. The only thing I'll miss with the trade is the 45+miles to the gallon... as a side note, it's a little ironic to me that one of the cars with the best mileage on the road has been declared harmful to the environment and must be taken off the road, that's what we get from the short sighted EPA.

There are two things that I dont love about the car (minor issues). I think I already know the answers to my questions, but could only find old threads so wanted to see if there were any updates:

1- Is it possible to make the digital speedometer display read the same units as the speedometer? The display is useless if it only reads a different unit, I'd rather it not even be there if that's the case.

2-When the car is started the nav unit is locked out until you "accept" the little message that it displays. I read that this is fixed with some update but the update costs $200? It seems like an expensive fix for such a dumb annoyance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Pretty sure you got the answer to #1 ...it's neat to know the kph with the mph, but agree it's largely pointless.

That fix came with a map update. There's a bunch of threads about it. It's about $200, from these guys MnSoft | Hyundai & Kia Map Update , but if a newer version is about to release they will drop the price. Thing is, you likely have a much older version, if it's the stock one it's like 2013, so you're missing all the new roads and interchanges anyway, just par for the course. Just be sure you get the right hardware version for this. When I ordered mine, I knew the right one, but I guess in my navigation I somehow selected the wrong one, had to go around for about 2 weeks until the old one was returned and new one received. Company did well by me, it was my mistake, yet they paid for the extra shipping involved.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
regarding the speedometer in both metric and Imperial , you will get used to it . I have owned mine since end of August and I don't even see it .In Canada it's useful but I simply ignore it .Being an old f****, I'm more imperial centric then metric centric so I only glance at the metric read out when I'm on the highway and my mind cannot do mph *.60

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
I never got the map update but I thought mine went away after a minute or 2 of not pushing the button, I know the "OK" screen goes away. Either it goes away or it's just habit for me to push accept real quick. Either way, it really isn't a bother after a few days when you're used to it.

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh30469 View Post
I never got the map update but I thought mine went away after a minute or 2 of not pushing the button, I know the "OK" screen goes away. Either it goes away or it's just habit for me to push accept real quick. Either way, it really isn't a bother after a few days when you're used to it.
The command "CONFIRM shows up when I turn on my car but it does disappear when I don't touch it and everything else works fine so it's more of a warning and that if you confirm its record in Kia's black box in case you are in accident and you start a lawsuit so I was told by the dealer .
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

Welcome to the forum community!!

I wish there was a mod we could come out with to remove having to agree with the navigation each time the car starts.

Unfortunately, it never goes away on my K900, unless you press the agree button. What a complete PITA.

If there are any parts you are looking for to help personalize your ride, let us know.

David
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
Now that I don't have my Cadenza anymore, but I still have my old map SD Card (I kept it for sentimental reasons), I may see if I can extract the software and delete the agreement function.

That being said, running a modified version of the software violates the ToA from KIA, but that doesn't mean I can't borrow one from the dealer and see if it works.

My Sportage has the accept screen as well, but it does clear on it's own, so I guess I can say "Neener-Neener-Boo-Boo!"

Welcome to the Cadenza family, there are a ton of knowledgable guys and gals on here, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

-Scynthyace
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses, it looks like the answers are just as a suspected.

I did think of two other problems I have with the car: 1. This car has every option imaginable except remote start... kind of surprising that they missed that option, 2. The awful horn, my wife made me remove the horn feature when the car locks because she was embarrassed when the horn sounded, ha ha.

Of course these things aren't real problems, it speaks pretty highly of the car when I have to come up with such minor issues to find things I dont like about it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The nav system 'Confirm' message was fixed display in the original version of the UVO sw/firmware when I got the car. I upgraded to a newer version and it goes away after a time. Yes, the upgrade costs but there are also other 'issues' that get fixed.

In the latest, V10, there is:
- improved voice recognition
- enhanced phone compatibility and audio function

And you can now download the update to your own SD card instead of ordering it and having it shipped.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I replaced the horns right away. Actually has 3. I replaced the two main horns with upgrades, then moved the low tone over to the chirp horn that goes off with the alarm arm.

Also, I got some neoprene felt and lined the inside of the door pockets...one of my peeves that stuff gets to moving around and makes noise at every stop and go. You learn to get the things that piss you off and fix them.

The one I can't stand though, if the car is running and the passenger doors are locked, I can't unlock it with the remote. That one still pisses me off, even though it rarely get's me. But when it does, I'm pissed. What if there was a hostile kid in the car and you were trying to get them out to beat, I mean talk some sense into him!?!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page