How to: Wire Fog lights as DRL's (SXL)
I can now run with only the fogs on or I can run with fogs, the LED strip (not sure what it is called) and parking lights with no headlights.
With the switch on OFF or AUTO, only the fogs are on outside in the daylight.
Disclaimer: This guide is for information only. What you do or have done to your vehicle is your responsibility. I cannot be held responsible for any issues related to this How to.
Click on the small pictures in the steps to link to the bigger picture.
Thanks to Theil24
for providing the picture of the Cadenza with the fuse box and wiring information
Let's get started.
Tools: Phillips screwdriver, wire cutters, barrel crimper (if you use barrel connectors), electrical tape, add-a-circuit, 2x10 amp fuses, wire loom, wire and maybe some other stuff I cannot remember.
- (OPTIONAL) Jack up the passenger (or driver) side of the vehicle to allow more more room under the front fog light.
- Remove two plastic screws holding the plastic guard to allow access to the fog light plug.
- Unplug fog light plug by pressing down on the top of the plug and pulling it out.
- Remove electrical tape from around the wire loom and pull the red wire out of the loom.
- Use whatever method you want to:
- Cut the red wire
- Protect/cover/seal the red wire on the opposite end of the plug that you just cut. This could become hot and you don't want it touching anything or getting wet.
- Connect new wire to the red wire you just cut, on the plug side. Make sure you have enough wire to run it to the fuse box which ever way you want.
- Run the new wire to the fuse box but do not connect it to anything.
- Cover the new wire with wire loom or similar to protect it from chaffing or heat.
- Replace fog light plug into the fog light.
- Replace two plastic screws in the guard under the fog light.
- (OPTIONAL) Lower car and remove jack.
- Repeat steps 1-8 on drivers side
- Connect the two new wires from the fog lamps to the barrel (or other) end of the add-a-circuit.
- Insert two 10 amp fuses into add-a-circuit and install add-a-circuit into the open fuse holder in fuse box.
This should complete the installation.
Make sure all wires are protected.
Turn the car on and test the fog lights.
A few pictures from to show how my wiring looks:
Might be hard to see, but I have it zip tied, you can see the white zip tie above and to the right of the coolant reservoir.