Kia Cadenza Forum banner

K5OS CANBUS Control Module Install

70K views 136 replies 19 participants last post by  Yooshaw 
#1 · (Edited)
I've placed my DIY write-up on the K5OS CANBUS Control Module Install on Google Docs.

If you view the Google Document, best to view in Google Docs (instead of the preview). When looking at the preview, click on the "Pop-Out" Icon in the upper right. This will open it in Google Docs, which will show the document correctly.

Alternatively, I've included a PDF, but the file is quite large (77 MB)!

Let me know if you have any questions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B...XZGMWdpWE5mUkh6R2cyMUVlc3pYOXNJb3M&authuser=0

#3 ·
http://youtu.be/PNXKhdW04JQ

The other feature I like is the module will close the sunroof cover if open when you stop the engine and open the door. You can also program it to open the cover when the car starts.

#8 ·
Yes that is correct, with this product that is one of many features that are included.

I want 1! But mine is a lease and dealers around here are stupid. I have no doubt I would get charged if I did this... Getting my windows tinted this weekend :)
Oh trust me, there are many things you can do to a leased vehicle, as long as everything is installed properly and with taste, you shouldn't have any issue when it's time to turn the vehicle back in. Many of the products you will remove and some you can even leave remaining. I leased my Optima for 2 1/2 years which is why remember all of this from my own experience.

It would be easy to remove really with little trace afterwords, just snip some wires close to where it was tapped, rewrap with electrical tape, and it will look stock.
Yep exactly I agree.

#6 ·
I want 1! But mine is a lease and dealers around here are stupid. I have no doubt I would get charged if I did this... Getting my windows tinted this weekend :)

#14 ·
The two functions I use the most are the remote start and auto door lock/unlock. Actually love the auto lock/unlock, don't have to worry about locking the car, just walk away and it locks itself.

#19 ·
That product will be available for the Optima and Sonata before the end of the month. The Cadenza will follow shortly after.

I like the idea of having a remote starter that uses the existing key fobs. Does anyone know of a system that does this?
Thanks
-Rich
Rich, I'm a bit confused by what you mean. That is exactly what the product we sell does. Here is a direct link to the product on our site:
K5OS - Canbus Control Module - K5 Optima Store

There is one called remote by brightbox. It isn't being sold in the US yet.
They will have a booth at the next LA auto show.
There looking for companies to assist them in bringing it to the US
I got an email inviting me there but can't go.
If anyone is interested I will send the email to them or post it here what ever works
Considering that we are one of the only active vendors for the Cadenza or K900, and the fact that we are located in Los Angeles, I think it may be a good idea for you to forward me over the info. :) I'll definitely make it out there.

#18 ·
There is one called remote by brightbox. It isn't being sold in the US yet.
They will have a booth at the next LA auto show.
There looking for companies to assist them in bringing it to the US
I got an email inviting me there but can't go.
If anyone is interested I will send the email to them or post it here what ever works

#20 ·
we are not offering single delivery and installation of our Remoto solution. In
case you are interested in a partnership with our company could you please agree
on a meeting with my colleagues Innokenty and/or Ivan at the LA autoshow end of
the month?

Thank you and best regards,
Robert

Sent using OWA for iPhone
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2015 11:51:11 PM
To: Robert Schuessler
Subject: Re: Kia Cadenza in USA

Can a single unit of remote for kia k900 usa model ( quoris else where)
It can be had in Russia
I'd like to install it in my own car as a demo
What would the price be for a single unit sent to Arizona USA Please.
And would it work here?
---- Robert Schuessler <robert.schuessler@bright-box.de> wrote:
> Hi Joyce,
>
> remoto and remoto light can be available for KIA Cadenza in US, price and
availability depends on the numbers of units you are interested in. Please also
check our presentation about remoto, remoto light and also in combination with
Car voice.
>
> https://vimeo.com/122944733
>
> Best regards,
> Robert
Took my email address out and just put GENE

#22 ·
Need help..

Have installed the Canbus system and have couple of issues on my 2014 Cadenza SXL
1) Car unlocks automatically due to proximity, but alarm goes off if I open the car door, have to use the remote to turn it off (I do not have any aftermarket alarm or anything)
2) During Remote Start, I cant unlock my car, eve proximity doesnt unlock the car, smart button, nothing works, unless I turn off the engine and unlock the car after..
3) Instead of Hazards (during daylight) my fog and headlight flash, I am pretty sure of the wiring, other features are working fine..

Instead of randomly troubleshooting, any advice to which wires to focus on or which commands.

Ive also emailed multiple times to k5 optima store support email, but no havent received a reply back in few days, so looking for help on the forum instead...

thanks in advance..

#23 ·
I've notified David that you're having some trouble with the Canbus module. That is his specialty area so I'll let him take care of you. We appreciate your patience and you're email will be responded to soon!

My suggestion would be to go through and check to make sure everything is wired in correctly and there aren't any loose wires present!

#25 ·
Also check the Start/Stop button. The wire COLORS are backwards to the wiring diagram (at least for me). Rule is to wire to the pin location, not the wire color. There was another wire color that was off, but can't remember.

#26 ·
I've followed your instructions from Google Doc (without it, I would of been off big time! so Kudos to you for such an awesome guide)

But the features work, just not correctly.. remote start works, sunroof works, I am able to use the smart key to set commands, and it all works.. but seems to be overlaid with cars alarm.. and not working with the system..

Headlights instead of hazards, I am going to disassemble and check again, pink to white wire on the socket behind the fuse box, i looked few times to make sure, but i am going to completely take it out and check if the issue is there if the hazards wire is not connected.. that way Ill know if thats the problem..

Can it be a bad module unit? I never got the 3 beeps to confirm my car.. it just gives 1 beep, 2 beep that its receiving can message, and jumps to 4 beeps when remote start, unlocking and all works... just not as intended with the car system.. (as alarm goes off after proximity unlock, doors wont open after remote engine start, and headlight strobes instead of hazards.. )

what do you, bad module?

Thanks for the quick feedback! you guys are all A okay in my book..

#30 ·
I'd go with the dip switch settings from K5OS. Mine does similar on remote start. Proximity does not work, and I think the FOB button does nothing. I unlock it when running by pressing the button on the door handle. And even then, the auto fold mirrors do not unfold.

David at K5OS confirmed with the manufacturer this was the correct behavior on the Cadenza.

#38 ·
Man, not often you see a store rep come out swinging like that. I would have to suggest maybe editing your last sentence and taking it out? Maybe rewording it? Seems less the professional to me, you are representing a store (K5OS) as well as a site sponsor, not a personal account. People expect you to act a bit more... we'll go with professional (it's early and I can't think well yet). I get the rest of what you said, though I read it a bit harsh, the last line just seems out of character and probably shouldn't be in. I believe he's ordered other items from you (look at the list of his mods) and would continue to do so, maybe. I have as well and we all promote you guys on here so maybe pull it back a bit? He is probably just frustrated, from his other posts he seems to be quite savvy, maybe make some suggestions like maybe the return emails are in his spam folder or PM him on here? Even if you are "in the right" it doesn't matter, it depends on how people read this and what they think, perception is reality. Maybe put in something like "We don't like it when a customer feels this way and we would like to help/make it right" or something similar? NEVER alienate the customer, especially on a public basis. Just a suggestion :)

#39 ·
Thank you for your feedback and post here. You are absolutely right, I should have not allowed the customers post to affect me personally and I could have used better words in my reply. I have since edited the post to be a bit more on point as a company and I removed my personal feelings from my response.

I guess I was a bit offended to say the least, we are a very small company and I am the owner and work around the clock to take care of each and every customer we work with. So when I take the extra steps to make sure each customer is taken care of, and I see posts like the one above, I tend to take personal offence to it, and I should not allow that to happen.

With that being said, this is this customers first order with our company. The list of mods in the members signature you are referring too is actually Yooshaw the member who posted after he did. This member has ordered several products from us and is very technically savvy, however he is not the one having this issue. Nevertheless, we try and treat each of our customers with the same respect, regardless of if they have ordered from us in the past or not.

Vendor, site sponsor, manufacturer, nonetheless I am still human and definitely make mistakes. I really do appreciate your comment though, as it helped me to see this from a different perspective and that is exactly what I needed. So thank you again!

#40 ·
No problem at all, I know where you were coming from but saw that it might rub people the wrong way and wanted to make sure you were aware of it. I did think it was Yooshaw at first (sorry man) but see it is not now. I don't much care when people say things the way he did and not accurately portray the situation so it is good that you came in to defend yourself and the product. We now know that you have expended resources trying to help this person but it seems as though they either never got it (spam folder?) or have just gotten frustrated. Either way, bad review. I still trust your stuff and company, I've been around here long enough to know you guys communicate and try to fix things to make them right and go above what most other companies would for support. I will still recommend you here (as I have in the past) as well as for people with Optimas that I know.

Also, nice edit :)

#41 ·
I don't think I realized you thought it was me when you first posted, so no worries. Agree with all you said as well.

I know if it were me, I'd have tried to get someone on the phone to discuss the issue and troubleshoot. If it's a bad unit, I know David and crew would have taken care of it. Can't do that if you don't talk with the seller though.

#46 ·
And for all -

I've updated the instructions to include DIP switch settings (omitted before) and clarified the testing procedures a little bit towards the end. Also, the PDF file in the folder is now about 7 MB instead of 77 MB - much better!

#50 ·
Everything works except the remote start

i know the easy answer is the wiring must have been done wrong, however, the tech guy that installed it for me has run though it multiple times, and, to him, it appears to have been wired correctly. is there anything else you guys can think of that might be causing the remote start to not work? maybe programming error?

i have another appt next Wednesday (i guess they are too busy until then - i really wished i knew how to do this stuff myself) for them to run through the wiring again, but i'd love to fix this sooner and maybe on my own. however, i wouldn't be able to take anything apart...well, i take that back...i don't want to take anything apart because i'm sure i'd mess something up. is there any programming things i can do in the meantime to try and fix this?

David at K5OS has been awesome...thanks David! i just need some help. i have paid a lot of money to get this installed (the module itself, but the install cost me an arm and a 3 legs too), so i'm hoping to get this to work flawlessly. i am also interested in the feature that i read about in this thread where you can program it to apparently close the sunroof when you turn off the car and just open the door...no proximity locking necessary. i'm also interested in any other features not listed on the website on the page where you buy the module (those 8 things listed).

thank you for all your help guys!

i'm a family practice physician and i have an online virtual practice as well. if you live in WA, NC, UT, or ID (the States where i am currently licensed & i can get licensed in another State if volume in that State picked up enough to justify the cost), i can help you guys out with any medical issue you might have also. i use secure messaging and video conferencing tools to accomplish telemedicine. it's quick, easy, and affordable for the simple medical issues that might arise. i'd even be willing to swap medical advice for technical advice - just like the old times - docs used to get paid for their medical services with anything the patient might have on their farm or their trade, etc. long story short, i need help and if helping you out with what i know best can be payment...by all means, let me know ;)

#51 ·
Tell your installer to re-check the connection at the start/stop button. When I wired it in, the directions had the wire colors backwards. Tell your installer to wire to the pin location according to the wiring diagram, and not the wire color.

The sunroof shade will close regardless of any setting. You can specify when it closes - either when you open the door, or when the doors lock. No way to not have it close (other than disabling sunroof control all together). You can also program the shade to OPEN on start.

Another feature not really talked about, but am currently trying out, is the low battery monitoring. I'm running my dashcams in parking mode when away from the car. Theoretically, the car will start itself when it detects a voltage differential (forgot the exact differential, .6 volts I think) and run the car for 15 minutes to recharge the battery.

You can also open the car without a key, drive the car without a key, and start the car by just pressing the brake (no need to press start/stop button).

Best of luck getting it sorted!

#52 ·
remote start

thanks Yooshaw - i actually read your complete write up for the install you did, and i noticed you said that exact thing. my plan was to let them know. thanks!! hopefully that's it.

yah, i finally got the programming page from my installer....there are a tone of things to program in. spent about 45 min this morning playing with it. pretty awesome! just wish they made an app for this, so that you could just go into the app and the app would wirelessly/bluetooth or something give the commands to the module...

marshall

#56 ·
thanks Yooshaw - i actually read your complete write up for the install you did, and i noticed you said that exact thing. my plan was to let them know. thanks!! hopefully that's it.

yah, i finally got the programming page from my installer....there are a tone of things to program in. spent about 45 min this morning playing with it. pretty awesome! just wish they made an app for this, so that you could just go into the app and the app would wirelessly/bluetooth or something give the commands to the module...

marshall
Hmm... An app? I'll see about that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.