Cadenza Engine Failure at 26K (10,600 Miles) - Kia Cadenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cadenza Engine Failure at 26K (10,600 Miles)

Well, here's a car owners work nightmare.

On November 5th, my 2014 Cadenza stalled in the middle of the road and wouldn't restart. I had the car towed to a KIA dealership as the car is still under warranty. Expecting to get my car back the next day, I was informed that the reason for the stall was the engine had lost compression in several front cylinders and would need a tear-down (at my cost) for several weeks to determine the cause of the failure and that no loaner car was possible under the circumstances. He also mentioned that the warranty would only apply if a manufacturing defect was clearly present. You might imagine my shock at this turn of events was palpable and using all my self control, I requested the car to be towed to another dealership as I simply didn't believe this fantastic story. After a much more reasonable discussion with a different KIA manager, I was informed that loss compression was indeed the cause and that the engine would need a tear-down but that KIA would cover this as a goodwill gesture. Further they also agreed to provide a loaner car at their cost, all of which I really appreciated, giving the nightmarish situation I was in.

To make a long story short, KIA spent several weeks tearing down the top end of the engine while at the same time proposing several theories as the the cause, they finally hit of what they believe is the route cause....bad fuel. The KIA manager called me and went on the say that since this was not KIA's fault, no warranty coverage would be in effect and that I would need to pay to replace the engine loosely estimated to be $20K. At the dealership I was shown a reused water bottle containing two distinct substances, one I assume is fuel and the other clearly something else (water?). So, in effect, I am expected to largely purchase the vehicle once again.

I talked to a third party engine rebuilder and he was adamant that water or any other clear liquid (no particulates) should only stop the car and not damage the engine. He went on the say that water in gas today is quite common and most manufactures cover any results of this, but that engine damage is quite unusual, if even possible.

Anyone else has any experiences like this and any advice with resolving this with KIA ?

EchoTango

(P.S. - I have posted this on another KIA site and apologies if there are any members from that other site here as well)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, sorry to hear about your problem. Kind of shocking that any Kia dealership would say the only way to honor the warranty is because of a manufacturing defect? What if no cause could be determined?

Not sure on what water in the fuel could cause or not cause. I thought water in the engine could cause hydro-lock? Any thought of engaging with the last place you got gas? If indeed it was water in the fuel that caused this, the gas station should be held liable for providing bad gas. Either way (pursuing through Kia or the gas station), I think a lawyer is in order.

Yikes, so sorry for your nightmare situation.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've considered that.

However, the fuel supplier will want substantial proof and even then, I will have to launch a lawsuit to even get their attention. However, I still think the Cadenza engine should not have imploded with bad gas and KIA should stand behind their product.

EchoTango.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:59 PM

Garage
Just doing a quick search, seems that at most water in the tank will cause problems to the fuel system (pump, injectors), and not the engine itself. How about getting an independent shop to analyze the engine? Have you tried contacting Kia directly?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshaw View Post
Just doing a quick search, seems that at most water in the tank will cause problems to the fuel system (pump, injectors), and not the engine itself. How about getting an independent shop to analyze the engine? Have you tried contacting Kia directly?

The bad fuel diagnosis was delivered by KIA at the end of last week and I'm still deciding what to do. I've also asked KIA to reconsider their "no coverage" position.

I've contacted an engine repair shop which supports your assertion.

It goes on.

EchoTango
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:12 PM

Garage
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
TV news help

Contact an attorney But first
Not sure what TV stations, there, might have a help segment of the news,
But if there is one contact them. We have two stations here who would
put your story on the evening news and then contact KIA for you.
These companies hate nothing more than bad publicity about their
warranties.
We see, here, all the time where the TV help sections can help with this
type of screw the purchasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTango View Post
The bad fuel diagnosis was delivered by KIA at the end of last week and I'm still deciding what to do. I've also asked KIA to reconsider their "no coverage" position.

I've contacted an engine repair shop which supports your assertion.

It goes on.

EchoTango
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks gene for your kind advice.

Waiting to hear back from KIA after my request to reconsider their last position. I also think they're confirming if they will need to change out the blocks and at the same time having the heads checked. We know the valves are fouled which explains the low compression, but if the cylinder bores show scraping, we're into a block and a very different discussion.

I'll keep everyone posted.

EchoTango.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Yeah, that's horsesh!t...I'd destroy Kia and the dealership over this one. Local news, Lawyer, they'd owe me big for that one. $20k for a new motor, WTF are they kidding! Water in the motor used to be how old carb engines were cleaned out. dump a few ounces of water in the carb, and the boiling water in the cylinder would blow off carbon deposits...Never heard of water mixed in fuel fouling valves to the point of lost compression...again horsesh!t in my opinion.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
You should also tell us the dealership, so if anyone used them for service, they can voice concern of their unethical bait and switch of warrantee work. Then let the dealership know you've made this point very clear on various Kia forums, spreading the word about how bad they are trying to F- you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page