Gas Additives - Kia Cadenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Gas Additives

Took my 2014 Cadenza in for 15,000 service today. No issues - just an oil change.
Dealer said that Kia recommends a gas additive at this mileage and recommended adding a bottle of "Cheveron Techron Concentrate Plus " to a full gas tank.

Engine running fine -- just a bit of carbon on exhaust chrome. Any real value in this additive? Do you folks use a gas additive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I've done both chevron and the Seafoam. Did 3 treatments of the Chevron, 1 every 3 tankfillups, then went about 4000 miles. Then I did 3 seafoam treatments, same thing, one every 3 tank fillups, then about 4000 miles no treatment. I personally saw better experience with the seafoam. power was restored sooner, and seemed to last longer.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM

I should also mention, I read someone here talking a lot of hype about top tier gas...so I've been going with Mobile only for the last 12000 miles or so. Really didn't see much difference between that and Sam's gas, but one thing is for sure, even with "top tier" gas you still feel the need to use treatments somewhat regularly.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Really didn't see much difference between that and Sam's gas, but one thing is for sure, even with "top tier" gas you still feel the need to use treatments somewhat regularly.
How many people actually do the additives? Top Tier gas has the additives already. I have never done this in any of my cars. I have 15 years experience on two Acura TL's with no additives other than what is added to Top Tier gas, and many more years with other cars. What is different with the Kia's? Your thoughts and experiences, please.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Garage
My 2 cents..

Owner's manual says if Top Tier Gas is NOT used, then an additive is recommended (at 7500 miles or yearly). Kia dealers use Chevron Techron.

I stick with the manual and add Techron every 7500 miles, and don't worry about finding a Top Tier Gas. I document adding the Techron - all to prove to the dealer that I am doing my part for maintenance if a warranty issue comes up. Last thing I want is to get in an argument with the dealer accusing me I did not use Top Tier Gas. At least with receipts I can show that I added the Techron - lord knows I'm not going to keep every gas station receipt.

I'm no expert, but I remember reading somewhere that GDI engines need this clean out because of the nature of how they run. I wonder if the many reports of loud engines on start-up could be attributed to being dirty?

I've heard good thing about Sea Foam, but have never tried it any of my vehicles.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshaw View Post
My 2 cents..

I'm no expert, but I remember reading somewhere that GDI engines need this clean out because of the nature of how they run. I wonder if the many reports of loud engines on start-up could be attributed to being dirty?
The GDI engines supposedly have a lean mixture. I would think that would result in less deposits, not more.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
I don't think they run lean, how could a lean engine spew out so much soot when you drive a bit more... spiritedly? Also yes the manual does state to put Techron in the tank every oil change, so I do. I have the dealer do it and document it. Sure it makes my oil change $10 instead of free but I'm OK with that, if anything ever happens with the engine they can't say I didn't do something recommended. I also only use Shell or BP as both are rated as top tier gas. I also don't have to go out of my way for them either, they flank my house from where I always drive.I believe top tier gas MAY give you better mileage, but by only maybe a tenth or so, not by any large margin. I do feel better about running "better" gasoline through my car and putting in the Techron though, peace of mind at least.

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When i took my 2014 in for the 21K service, the dealer included the Additive as a part of the service.

2014 Cadenza Premium Aurora Black on Black
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Mad,

Did you do Seafoam in the gas and oil both? Did you also do it to the vacuum line?
I used Seafoam on the Mustang and did all 3 spots and it did a great job. It smoked the neighborhood really well . Watch videos on youtube for those that have never seen it. I don’t think that happens much if you do the gas and oil only.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Effects View Post
How many people actually do the additives? Top Tier gas has the additives already. I have never done this in any of my cars. I have 15 years experience on two Acura TL's with no additives other than what is added to Top Tier gas, and many more years with other cars. What is different with the Kia's? Your thoughts and experiences, please.

If your experience is to not use the treatments and seen no difference, then that is not really experience. I tell you after about 4000 or so miles without treatment, the car has a bit of sluggish throttle response, especially when trying to get the auto downshifts. The HP isn't really effected, as I still can get on it, but the minor throttle response is what I feel getting soft. After about half a tank with treatment in the car response much better, and will stay that way for several thousand miles. Again, that is my experience while also using top tier gas. Sure, they may have some additives, but a real treatment is necessary from time to time to actually knock off the buildup inside the motor.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page