MacDogg

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Engine fan stays on?

A few weeks ago I went out to the car and tried to start it and it seemed the battery was dead. I called the KIA 24 hour roadside assistance number and decided to have it towed to KIA so they could check the battery in case that was the issue. The car is about 20 months old and the battery has a 24 month warranty.

KIA ran three battery tests and they told me the battery is perfect, actually above normal cold crank amps. So I left with no positive reason what happened.

Friday afternoon I went to the store and after I locked the doors and walked away I heard the engine fan still on. It was about 65 degrees out and cloudy, not super hot here yet. Since I was only going to be a few minutes in the store I went in to get my shopping done. It ended up taking me almost 15 minutes to get in and out and when I got back to my car the fan was still on!

I remember hearing the fan running after I turned the car off before but I assumed it was because it was 100 degrees outside and it just needed to cool down some more.

Does anyone else notice this issue on their Cadenza? Mine is a 2014 SXL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Garage
I don't on my 14. Can't remember the last time the fan ran after shutting off the car, and I was in Florida last summer. Something sounds wrong.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
If my car warms up good. The fan will run for a couple of minutes when
shutting it off. Nothing like what is happening to you.
Sounds like a thermostat starting to fail

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
I wasn't aware the fan COULD run after you shut the car off... never noticed it. Even when during the summer it has been 90+ in the shade.

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Yeah, never heard anything continue to run after the car turns off, and been in 95 degree weather.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
I know with the Canbus control module this was some functionality mentioned but it also said it turned the fan off after a few minutes. I'd get this looked at.

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Yeah, I didnt think this was normal at all. Pretty sure that fan is supposed to turn off when you turn the car off. Now it's understandable to hear is winding down for 10-20 sec but that still doesnt mean its ok. Call up the good old dealership!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've had electric fans in other brands (vw, acura, infiniti) where the fan would continue to run after turning of the vehicle including my Cadenza. I don't think it ever ran for more than 30 seconds or so. I've noticed it more when creeping along in heavy traffic to get home during the summer with a/c running. When I park in the garage and shut off the car, I can hear the fan running while getting out. I've had mine 2 years now and have never had an issue with the battery yet.

Found a mention of this in the Owners Manual on page 7-31:
The electric motor (cooling fan) is controlled by engine coolant temperature, refrigerant pressure and vehicle speed. It may sometimes operate even when the engine is not running.

2014 Cadenza Limited
Snow White Pearl w/White Nappa interior

Last edited by GizmoPDX; 02-23-2016 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2015 Cadenza

I have had the same issue. My Cadenza battery has been dead 5 times in the last 6 months. I would park my car and leave it for a few hours. When I came back out the battery would be completely dead. 3 of these times I remember hearing the fan was running when I got out of the car. I took it to the Kia dealership 3 times. The 1st time they checked the battery and alternator. They both checked out fine. The next time they had it for 2 days. They checked for a short in the electrical system. They found a loose ground wire on the engine. They said it made the computer think the car was still on and it would keep the electrical system running. A month later it happened again. This time they had a new mechanic who specialized with electrical systems. He pulled every fuse out and then put them back in trying to see if there was a drain on the system. He didn't find anything. Now every time I get out of my car I listen to see if the fan is running. They said if it happens again have it towed back to the dealership. Let me know if you find out what your problem is.
MacDogg likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
This issue has started happening more now. Just last Friday I had to turn the car on and off four times before the engine fan turned off. Now, just today I was sitting in a parking lot with the car running and I was on the phone when the two front and two rear interior lights came on. No doors were opened from the time I parked and the time the lights just flicked on. I had to turn the car on and off a few times before the lights turned off after I shut the door and locked them.
After I came out from my appointment I started the car and all the light stayed on while I was driving home. I turned the car on and off about four times and the lights would turn off only after I close the door and hit the lock button on the keyfob. Now the lights are stuck on when the car is running.

I called the dealership and asked if I could drop the car off tomorrow morning (I have the day off) and asked if I could get a loaner and they said they don't offer loaners. So I called KIA VIP and asked them to provide me with a loaner to fix their electrical issue on this car that is still under warranty. They told me they would call the dealership and see what they could work out and call me back. That was over two hours ago.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page