User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Angry Home Link won't work with rolling code opener

Has anyone got their Home Link (buttons on review mirror) to work on their rolling code garage door opener? I have tried multiple times and cannot get it to work.
I tried it on the garage door opener at my previous apartment and it wouldn't work. I tried it on the garage door opener at my new house and it doesn't work either.
I followed these steps with the car parked under the opener:
Press the two outside homelink buttons (house 1 and house 3 on mine) and hold for 20 seconds till the red light starts blinking slowly. Once it's blinking slowly hold the garage door opener close to the mirror and hit the open button till the light starts blinking quickly. This means that it's programmed. If it still doesn't operate the garage door, you probably have one with rolling code technology, so there's an additional step. Press the learn button on your garage door opener and within 30 seconds press the newly programmed homelink button.

This is getting annoying as heck as my remote quit working and I don't want to pay $69.99 for a new one, and Home Depot and Wal-Mart don't have the universal openers in store. I leave for work and have to get out of the car, go inside the garage and hit the button and then run and duck and lift my legs before it gets too low. Of course, when I get home I need to go thru the front door and then out through the garage. It sucked one day when the GF had locked the second key less deadbolt and I couldn't get in the house until she got home with her remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
ive never had any luck with it

LIKE me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/benthekiaguy
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
this is tricky; had issues with many other cars but this is how I get it to work and i have it working on all my cars now:

1) Clear the codes as instructed (holding down both buttons as noted above)
2) (this is key) take a working remote (even if rolling code) and one a button while, holding down the homelink key you want to use. You should get the rapid blinking on homelink
3) Now go to the unit and press the learning button and the homelink button you want to program until you get it synched.

Note: step two is key but not in any instructions, its like priming homelink; step 3 may take 3 to 6 tries after step two is completed.

Also note, there's at least two types of rolling codes so use the exact remote that matches the opener you want to activate.
MacDogg likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Garage
Mine works, but I remembered I had to press the learning button on the garage door opener a couple of times before it took (like socalifk7 mentioned).
MacDogg likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Coolio, thanks for the responses. I will shoot it if it doesn't work when I get home tonight!! It would be nice getting it to work on mine, so then I can get it working on the GF's Forte!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
No problem - works fine with my "Lift-Master" opener, but you cannot do this from within your car alone. You need to re-initiate the learning sequence at the opener control unit. Begin with a two-button reset within car, then finish at opener control.

Give it a try, or call Lift-Master for detailed instructions. (Probably the same instructions for all brands).

If no luck, I'll provide you with more detailed instructions.
MacDogg likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

So, my GF's Forte worked perfectly. Cadenza, using the same exact steps, doesn't work.
I have a Craftsman 1/2HP, Model 139.53930DM. I followed the notes exactly in the Cedenza manual for both cars.
On the Forte:
Hold mirror buttons 1 and 3 until the light starts flashing. Then put the remote near the mirror and press button 1 and remote button at the same time. Within 2 seconds the mirror starts flashing quickly. I go to the motor and press the learn button, go back to the mirror and press button 1 and the motor light flashes indicating successful learn. I press the button 1 in her car and the door opens.

On the Cadenza I pressed and help 1 and 3 until it flashed. I put the remote near the mirror and press the button 1 (or 2 or 3) and the remote button the light flashes slowly the entire time. I even went to the motor and hit the learn button and went back to the mirror and pressed button 1 but nothing happened.

Last edited by MacDogg; 02-24-2015 at 06:56 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I had the same problem with mine although I called the dealer and one of the Techs drove over and my remote wasn't working. Then we did it from the home base of the garage unit and somehow it worked after that. Maybe its just the mirror not working for you.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Anyone notice sucky short range with these? I had the same thing in my Rogue when I had it and I had to be within like 10-20 ft before it would work. Are these the same?

2014 Kia Cadenza, Metallic Bronze and Beige, Lux Package

Leased 3/1/14
Purchased 1/28/17

Additions:
-Full Korean K re-badge
-Ultra Racing Performance front strut tower bar
-Racing sport pedals

Cadenza products available at: https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...denza-products
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedunk300 View Post
I had the same problem with mine although I called the dealer and one of the Techs drove over and my remote wasn't working. Then we did it from the home base of the garage unit and somehow it worked after that. Maybe its just the mirror not working for you.
The remote works, because when I was pressing the mirror button and the remote button to teach it the garage door kept opening and closing.
I stopped at Home Depot this morning and bought a new remote and will try it again once I get that remote programmed. At least I should have a working remote if the mirror won't work.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page